These links to resources about the Manning case are provided for information purposes only and do not indicate agreement with opinions that may be expressed on any linked sites. This is by no means a comprehensive collection, but contains what we consider to be the most critical material for understanding and following the case.
[Update 8/22/13]: In a public statement issued on 8/22/13, Pvt. Manning disclosed that her name is now Chelsea Manning, and that she is a female. Going forward, we will honor her request to use her new name and appropriate pronouns, in support of her transition.
Manning’s Own Words
Statement of Conscience
read to Judge Denise Lind at Ft. Meade, MD, 2/28/2013
- Collateral Murder
- Iraq War Logs
- Classified Material published by Wikileaks (and various newspapers)
- What Manning revealed (Greg Mitchell’s list, also on The Nation)
Confinement and Treatment
- The inhumane conditions of Bradley Manning’s detention (Glenn Greenwald for Salon)
- Alleged Leaker Manning Subjected To Illegal Pretrial Punishment, Judge Rules (NPR)
- Bradley Manning’s treatment was cruel and inhuman, UN torture chief rules (Guardian)
Transcripts of pre-trial hearings and court-martial
- Alexa O’Brien
- Freedom of the Press Foundation (Trial transcripts only)
Notable reporting of case
- Bradley Manning Support Network (Nathan Fuller, Jeff Patterson, et. al.)
- Firedoglake (primarily Kevin Gosztola’s reports for The Dissenter blog)
- Democracy Now!
- The Guardian (UK)
- Wired’s Threat Level blog
- @savebradley (BM Support Network)
- @carwinb (Alexa O’Brien, see above)
- @kgosztola (Kevin Gosztola, see above)
- Bradley Manning News (@peacearena’s list with all the above)
- Save Bradley Manning (BMSN)
Defense Counsel David Coombs
Background on Manning
Books on Manning case
links are for the MLTF bookstore at Powell’s unless otherwise indicated
- Nicks, Denver. Private: Bradley Manning, Wikileaks, and the Biggest Exposure of Official Secrets in American History (2102) Manning’s early life is detailed. Nicks interviewed many Crescent residents and other Oklahomans.
- Madar, Chase. The Passion of Bradley Manning. OR Books, 2012.
- Mitchell, Greg and Gosztola, Kevin. Truth and Consequences: The U.S. vs. Bradley Manning. Sinclair Books, 2012. Amazon
- Mitchell, Greg and Gosztola, Kevin. Truth and Consequences: The U.S. vs. Bradley Manning. Sinclair Books, 2013 (Updated through 6/1/13). Kindle e-book only, Amazon.
- Reitman, Janet. The Trials of Bradley Manning. Rolling Stone, March 14, 2013
- The Private Life of Bradley Manning – (PBS Frontline) Criticized by supporters for sensationalizing Manning’s sexual orientation and gender identity issues
Panels and workshops
- Manning and the Media 6/2/13
- Left Forum Panel ‘Bradley Manning and Whistleblowers’ (6/8/2013)
- Bradley Manning and Wikileaks (C-Span, June 4, 2012)